Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Story of Printed Shorts

Most Horrible Photo Number 1
When the (some kind of) editor of a nationally published and well respected magazine contacts you to see if you would like to submit photos for a "street style" piece because they like what they have seen on your blog you automatically say yes, right?  Why wouldn't you, right?  RIGHT?  Did I mention there was a deadline involved?  Did I mention that I currently didn't own the "featured" item?  Did I mention they requested the background be outdoors?

Did they REALLY read my blog?

Horrible Photo number 2

Because I (really, REALLY) wasn't pleased with any of the photos, I have little doubt that they will not be chosen and so I thought I would at least tell the story.  It's funny.  And I wore red, white and blue so its Memorial Weekend themed (albeit a day or two late for that!)

The "feature" item was printed shorts and how different "street style bloggers" wear them.  {I laugh every time I read "street style" because I am so very not street.}  So, I owned about 5 total pairs of shorts and you can bet your bippy that none of them were printed.  I don't look so great in shorts.  I'm vertically challenged and squatty legged, old and dimplish, and frankly out of shape right now so the idea of submitting photos of myself for a PUBLICATION in printed shorts was horrific, but I felt that I should at least give it a shot...just in case I could be considered for something else in the future.  Like how to style Mumus.

I tried on about 15 different multi colored, floral, checkered, aztec, abstract, and stripey options and hated them all.  In desperation I hit up my local Tommy Hilfiger (which happens to be right next to my store) and found these adorable navy polka dot shorts.  They were long enough to cover a lot of the ugly, but short enough not to be bermudas.  The print was small enough not to cause problems and the base dark enough to hide in.  They were on sale as well so they were coming home to be my first ever printed short, and my feature piece.

The next part is boring...I styled them a bunch of different ways at home and took some test photos to see which I liked the best.  My winner was chosen from the test shots and then the search for a background was begun.

I had a couple of spots in mind, but I didn't want to drag my tripod out and run for the self-timer thereby prolonging the possibility of anyone walking or driving by and seeing me taking my own picture.  There is a REASON I take my photos in my bedroom when no one is in the house.  This meant I had to enlist a helper, and I chose my hubby.

Horrible Photo Numero Tres
Hubby has a plethora of fantastic qualities.  He is cute, smart, funny, organized, kind and an all around great guy.  That being said, he is the WORST portrait photographer.  Ever.  I envy all of you bloggers out there whose hubbies are their photographers.  I always imagined it would be so much easier to have someone else behind the lens.  I was wrong.  I ran up and down the hill looking at every shot and going..."can't you zoom in? There's a hundred feet of room around me, I look like an ant."  Or " Do I really look like that?  Was that really the most flattering picture?  Can't you give me some direction, some motivation?  Can't you make me laugh or something?"  It was beyond ridiculous.  On top of the photo critiquing I had to duck and cover when cars drove by, lest they think I was insane for standing in the wash getting my picture taken.  Then there was the swarm of bees in the palo verde he had to stand near.  It was also 105 degrees out and we were sweatin'.

I think I had him take a total of 10 pictures before I was done.  No amount of coaching was going to save this shot, and I was out of time for the deadline.  I picked the best of the worst, did a little bit of color editing, sent that son of a b on its way and washed my hands of the whole thing.

The Submission
The Submission (2)
Take this story as you will; funny anecdote or cautionary tale.  If a photo editor comes knocking on your email for submissions, perhaps you should think a second before you say yes.  Do you have the requested look in your wardrobe already?  Do you have a good photo background?  Do you have a decent photographer in mind?  All excellent questions my friends.  The answers to which may actually lead you to print-worthy results.

XO,
Alyssa

( and to answer the question I know you were asking yourself the answer is no...I didn't own Awesome Navy Tank Top before the deadline, or you can bet that outfit would have been "the one")

17 comments:

  1. Welcome to my world...well sort of anyways. I haven't had anybody knocking on my door requesting photos, but I do take pics outside with my hubby behind the camera. It has definitely been, and continues to be, a learning process. Your location that you chose is beautiful, and you make 100 degrees look pleasant. You're out of direct sun which is good, and the photos that you submitted are really nice. Great angles, killer hair, fabulous accessories...you done good! Don't be surprised if you're featured. Oh, and patterned shorts could well be in my worst nightmare too. You may nevah see my in shorts...

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, you are the sweetest. You always make me feel sunny inside. And YOUR husband does a fantastic job with your photos!!

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  2. I think you look great Alyssa! My hubby is not any type of photographer either - his comments are more like "can we just take 2 pictures?" We never take more than 5 minutes because it's always taken right before I am rushing out the door. As for background, I wished I had a nicer background but just don't have the time.

    Congrats on having a publication seek you out! Please let us know when this will be printed so I can be on the lookout in the magazine (I don't think you mentioned?).

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice...I love your background! I think your hubby does a fantastic job as well, your photos always come out great.

      I will 99% guarantee that it will not be published, I think they would have told me after the deadline. I'm holding onto the magazine name on the 1% chance I do make the cut. I'll post it then!

      thanks for your good wishes though!

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  3. Woooooowwwwwweeee! I'm so tickled.. a national magazine! Our Alyssa is going to be in a national magazine! Of course you are. No doubt in my mind. Can I have your autograph now, before you are entirely famous?!

    Yes, you look lovely, and your photos look grand. Dan takes most of my pics, but he can't see the camera well for a number of reasons besides Long Arm disease, so it's always begosh and begorrah. They're improving.

    I'm a proud bloggy friend! Fingers and toes crossed for you until you know. How long will it be? ( Just so I can walk and hold a fork again ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Jan.... I love you. You make me smile.

      I don't want to burst your happy bubble, but it wasn't like they were going to do a feature article on me and my awesomeness! LOL. It would have been one of those 1 inch photos tucked into a collage or something equally NOT as exciting as you make it sound. Thank you for your enthusiasm and generosity of spirit though!!

      Your Dan does a great job, he must be able to see YOU very clearly as you always look beautiful.

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  4. I have either a 13 or 17 year old son taking my outdoor photos. The 17 year old is fantastic at making me laugh, but just takes the photos as quickly as possible. The 13 year old takes his job seriously and offers suggestions and even moves around trying different angles, but alas he is very serious and I have a hard time getting good facial expressions... ooooh the life of a blogger, but not complaints I chose this, not them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey,

      Your boys do a great job! Maybe next time (should there ever BE a next time that I venture outside for photos again) I will enlist a child. It couldn't turn out any worse than these!

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  5. Sorry - but your story made ​​me really laugh. Although I understood with my poor English only half. Or is the story not funny and I have complete misunderstood. My photos also makes my husband - and because our children are not so big, we always take the pictures at home. I also admire the people who can make such beautiful pictures outside. I think I could not pose as impartial. The difficulty to find a nice shorts, I also know. You've gotten a really nice piece. The outfit I really like. Dear greetings from Conny http://pantsandtops.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it made you laugh Conny!! That is the biggest compliment you could ever give me, so thank you.

      Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  6. Wow, congrats on being noticed by a national mag! You will let us know when it's published, right? I think you look great - cute outfit, great accessories, cool shorts. Such "street" style!!

    My husband did photos at first, but quickly got fed up ("You're becoming awfully self-obsessed." "You want to do MORE?!"). I do my own now, but only in the privacy of my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! Like I said, the chances of me being chosen are very slim, but you can bet that if it happens I will post it!

      don't you cackle reading Street Style and thinking of me?! Perhaps not cackle, but...

      self-obsessed, is he crazy?! Doesn't he know we require amazing photography so we can put only our best foot forward for our fan base?! ;o)

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  7. The submission pic looks fabulous- and whatever the outcome, make sure you celebrate the awesomeness of being approached by a national publication! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The request is a dream and a nightmare all at the same time! Congrats on being asked (that's the dream part); posing in shorts would be my nightmare (you'll never see me in shorts -- don't even own any!). However, you look great in your outfit! I laughed out loud reading your comments regarding the photography. My husband takes my photos. We started outside at the beginning; now they're all done inside (hot weather being just one of the issues). He's getting a little better (we only take about 5 pictures now versus 25) but I continue to wonder if he possibly could do something to make me look taller, thinner, and younger!
    Let me know if your submission is chosen. They couldn't have asked anybody better!
    Heather from Friendship, Life and Style
    Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Shorts?! That's why I was like "did they even READ my blog?" The truth is though, I did buy several more pairs of shorts after this adventure, and one of them is even printed as well! It is my intention to get healthy again sometime soon...but until then, I just won't post those outfit photos! LOL

      Hey, your hubby does a great job too...you know I love your pictures. 25 or 5, it doesn't matter if they come out great, right?

      Thanks, and I will let you know on the very slim chance I do get picked.

      xo,
      Alyssa

      Delete
  9. Very Stylish. lovely outfit and beautiful pics. amazing post.
    Parfum pas cher

    ReplyDelete